Wednesday, May 31, 2006

IND SchmIND

I wish I could wittily (Is that REALLY a word? Mr. Gates tells me it is.) describe the state of the Immigration and Naturalization Department here in the land of polders, canals, dikes, and red tape. Alas, I fail to have the sarcasm today, and I fail to have a deep knowledge of the topic as well (but – I CAN tell you all about the differences between American and Dutch pack ‘n’ plays and strollers…). But I will share with you my experiences and point you to a few recent news events that might give you an idea.

February 2005 – apply for residence status

August 2005 – temporary status expires. Get temporary status extended.

December 2005 – write a letter of complaint – it’s been 10 months!!

January 2006 – receive notice Dan is now a resident. Find out I need to prove I’m actually married to the man. Have 10 days to prove. Receive letter with 2 days left.

February 2006 – receive notice I am a resident as well. Anxiously await our phone call from town hall so we can pick up our much coveted residence cards.

March 2006 – pick up resident cards. Apply for renewals. The residence cards are valid for a whopping 6 weeks. Wait 13 months to be “legal” for 6 weeks???

April 2006 – residence cards expire. Dan applies for special worker status. Temporary resident sticker affixed to his passport. “What about my wife?” he asks. They don’t know. Nobody knows. Head back to town hall to get myself a temporary sticker based on earlier renewal application. No luck. They cannot issue it for renewals. “But you have a renewal in process. You will be OK,” the lady says.

May 2006 – register in our new town, a little worried since I still don’t have a current sticker in my passport. The very nice man just laughs. “Sometimes it takes awhile, doesn’t it?” he asks.

Last week – receive certified letter from IND. Entire ORIGINAL worker status application returned. IND says it was, essentially, “a mistake. Send it back, please.” Still no word about the renewals or how a wife can apply jointly for the worker status.

But why am I kidding myself? Although we are trying to do everything on the up and up, if a Member of Parliament gets kicked out of the country based on her original status, do we have a chance at this being easy? If I’m not supposed to speak English in public, does the IND really want us foreigners here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home