Monday, October 16, 2006

Nothing to do with Expat Life

Except that it is my life, and I am an expat.

I am now officially 41-weeks pregnant. One week to go before the Dutch calvary is called in to get this baby out. At least I feel good: Not too huge, not too tired, and not too puffy. So it's really just an emotional roller-coaster of wondering when the time will come and having more time to worry about the health of the baby, the delivery, and the fact that we are becoming parents. In this time of waiting, I've been pondering the statistics of birth. I'll go out on a limb and venture a few guesses...

1. Boy/girl? In nearly any random sample of friends I come up with, girls outnumber the boys by approximately a kazillion to one. In our family, we have 5 nieces and 1 nephew. We took forever to decide on a boys name, and I'm still not entirely convinced. Because of the ratios (and the need to even them out) and Murphy's Law Pt. 76 (about naming children), Little One is a boy.
2. Arrival date? According to my childbirth book, 3 in 10 births occur before the due and 9 in 10 prior to or by 10 days after the due date. I know 3 first-borns that came early, and 1 that came 16 days late. So LO will arrive by the 19th. I refuse to get any more specific than that - I've already been wrong 4 times!
3. Shoe size? Judging from the foot in my side: Big.
4. Overall size? Baby was gaining about an ounce per day just three weeks ago, when my midwife said it was a normal-sized baby. After the due date, though, we have to consider the well-known fact that weight of all chocolate consumed by mother is added to the directly to the baby, not Mom's thighs. Therefore, I now have a 16 pound 9 ounce "Little" One to deliver.
5. Labor and delivery time? The longer the pregnancy, the shorter the labor and delivery. I predict a nice and tidy 4-hour delivery. That's from Beth's Book of Proclamations if you need to verify the info.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home