Friday, February 11, 2005

Week One

I've made it one whole week already! I'm still not sure what I think about the whole experience. On one hand, it's fun to think about the possibilities of exploring and learning a new culture and language. On the other hand, it is a bit overwhelming! Learning a new culture is one thing...adapting to it is different!

Right now the best times I have are riding my bike down one road in particular (I haven't a clue what it's name is). This road is lined with canals (as many are, but this one is particularly long), and there are birds swimming and playing all along the canals. Ducks, swans, funny looking geese, and several other unkown types. Even when there is a film of ice on the canals, the birds are still there, walking on ice or swimming in an unfrozen spot. It is quite calming.

The biggest adjustment so far has been the evenings in the apartment. The whole city seems to shut down after about 7:30. The streets seem desolate, and none of the stores around are open. It is eerily quiet. I hope I adjust to this quickly!

We applied for a residence permit yesterday, which was an interesting (read: beaurucratic)experience! Right now, we are temporarily legal! It is odd to think that we are not residents of the U.S. anymore. Our legal residence is in another land.

Well, we are celebrating my first week and Dan's first semester by taking a long weekend "jaunt" to Rome. So I must begin packing - after all, the plane leaves in 4 hours!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home