Sunday, April 24, 2005

Experiencing Animals

There is no shortage of animals in Rotterdam. As you know, pet dogs are everywhere. Yesterday I saw one family with 6 dogs. I really don’t think it was a pet sitting service. The dogs were all so similar. And I know there are plenty of cats around. A big black and white one suns himself on the patios below "The Attic". A beautiful white one sits in the window of one of our neighbors. And then there are the horses! There are riding trails in different parts of the city, and a lot of people come out to ride. There is a slight problem with this…they don’t always stay on the trails, so bike riders have to be a little careful not to ride through a surprise! It’s kind of similar to the problems with having so many dogs around…



But the other animals in this city are even more interesting. You must remember how much water there is in Holland, so that means…a lot of waterfowl! I wish I could convey to you how many birds there are around here. Hopefully, it will satisfy you to know there are A LOT. I love watching the geese waddle around, the ducks dive for food, and the swans swim gracefully. I like discovering new birds…the blacks ones with white beaks and the bandit geese are among my favorites. And I vote for them to be the two most interesting birds in Rotterdam. Take a look at their pictures.





The petting zoos are a great place to animal watch, too. Near our church and near the lake there are parks with deer, and peacocks. The one by the church has roosters and chickens, too. And all the animals are in one pen. The children (and lots of adults) love to feed the deer. At some point, I will get a picture of the peacocks strutting their stuff.

But here is my biggest surprise…sheep by Dan’s school! Here’s what I wrote in an e-mail about the experience. "On my way to meet some people to buy a shopping cart, I passed a flock of sheep grazing - I was still in the middle of the city! On the way back the shopping cart fell off my bike right in front of the sheep and they all started "baa-ing" at me. I had never been that close to so many baa-ing sheep. Anyway, the shopping cart wouldn't stay on my bike so I ended up carrying it back home while still trying to steer my bike - about 20 minutes and through lots of traffic. I can't help but laugh at all the silly things I have to do these days. They are so different than days at work - no power suits and big meetings. Just sheep baa-ing at me."

I’ve had a few other close calls, too. Shortly after I arrived here, we had a cold spell that froze the lakes and canals. I was enchanted with the ice skating ducks and geese around, so I set out to take their picture. Well, I got the picture, but I also got about 40 geese honking at me. Imagine 40 honking geese ice skating on a frozen pond toward you as you try to get their picture!



My most recent harrowing animal experience was with a duck playing chicken, however. I was biking toward it, and it was taking off. I lost. The bird did not figure me into its flight plan. I ducked (ha ha), avoiding a head-on (literally) collision with the bird, and the bird continued happily along its course.

Well, despite all these close calls, I’m still loving my time animal watching. Here are some more of my observations. My favorite is the last one! It was so cute to watch the babies get out of the water. (Yeah, my life is pretty relaxing right now!)









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home