Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Americanism

It is strange how America is idolized here. In only the last couple of days, we’ve received flyers from furniture stores, household item stores, and pizza places that all reference America in some way. One furniture store’s flyer was particularly interesting. As a backdrop, there was the American $20 bill. In the side bars, the Statue of Liberty was pictured. For a little while, I thought I was back in the States. The pizza places reference “Amerikaanse” pizzas. I’m not sure what the appeal is or why American symbols are an effective marketing technique, but it is pretty fascinating.

Perhaps it would be different outside of the Netherlands, but I’m not convinced of that. Many of the international students at Dan’s school think we are crazy for leaving America…it is their dream to GET to America. On international trains and passing through customs in the airport, the United States passport essentially means only a quick glance from the passport control. U.S. businesses are admired here. Wal-Mart is discussed as if there is no better business. The busiest McDonalds I’ve been to is here in Rotterdam, and the second busiest one is in Cologne, Germany. Rubbermaid products are advertised with BIG BOLD “RUBBERMAID” stickers. In the news, Major League Baseball, the NBA, and the Master’s are all getting headlines.

In so many ways, I can see the allure of America. And, quite frankly, I’m somewhat grateful for its allure. It certainly makes my life easier (and right now, I’m all about things being easy)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home