Wednesday, June 08, 2005

72-hour thoughts

It seems like we’ve been here a week. There are so many new experiences and new concepts swirling around in my head, I can’t believe it’s taken me only 3 days to accumulate them all. Those experiences and concepts are divided into two main categories: the culture and the work.

The culture is really quite fascinating. I so wrongly assumed that it would be very similar to Albania, simply because both countries were impacted greatly by the Communist-era of Eastern Europe. Granted, my experience with Albania is quite limited, being based on only one week-long visit and several communications with a friend there. However, for my own sanity, I guess I needed something to help me prepare mentally for the summer. One substantial difference is that, as my theory currently goes, as part of the USSR, Moldova had a wider understanding of the world (the USSR-world) around it. Albania was so isolated under Hoxha, there was really only Albania to the Albanians. Things seem more western – or at least more American (more to come on that topic) – in Moldova than they did in Albania, and I think it is because Moldovans had to simply expand their understanding of the world past the USSR; Albania had to start from ground-zero.

Dan and I have spent many hours already learning about the work. Ivan continues to amaze us, both in his knowledge of the micro-finance business and the enormous faith he has in the Lord providing for the country of Moldova. Being educated in the west, and having the contacts he has, he could easily have a posh job in the U.S. or the U.K. and live quite well. Instead, he has devoted himself to the work of rebuilding his country by making small loans to entrepreneurs. It is a slow job. He often lacks funds to make loans (and at times to pay the staff). His life has been threatened, and he’s repeatedly faced corrupt officials. Even without a law degree, he often represents himself (and his organization) in court (and wins!) because he cannot hire an attorney. In response to my naïve amazement at what he faces, he often replies, “But this is Moldova, and there are many worse things.” Then he turns his attention to the sausage-maker who is impacting many lives (economically and spiritually) because he has grown the business large enough to employ people in the village. We are encouraged to see that society can indeed be impacted by providing jobs and showing people a way out of the hopelessness economic and spiritual poverty creates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home