Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I am American, but don't tell anyone

Suddenly, I feel very American. Dan and I have a game where we quiz each other if a person we see is Dutch or American. Someone wearing white tennis shoes and Levi jeans is probably an American. Spiky hair (on guys) or pointy shoes (on gals) indicates to us Dutch.

But the distinction between U.S. and Dutch, and to some extent U.S. and European, goes so much deeper than fashion. American symbols (like I wrote about several weeks ago) are used to promote items, and Europeans certainly enjoy ideas, products, and services that come out of the U.S. Beyond the marketplace, the U.S. is fondly remembered by most I’ve talked to for the liberation of Europe and helping to end WWII.

The fondness gives way to misunderstanding somewhere along the way. Spending time in several in-depth conversations with Europeans recently has exposed that misunderstanding. And that is why I feel very American. In these conversations, I have learned that because I am from the U.S.A., many people expect me to be arrogant. They think that we are rich and have money to “throw around”. They expect me to be unconcerned about the world around me.

I admit, this is the first time I’ve really encountered “discrimination” (though I hesitate to call it that). It’s the first time I’ve really had to consider how my lifestyle promotes these stereotypes. In many ways, I see where those misunderstandings are rooted. We do tend to forget that we can learn from other people. American culture does have a lot of excess in it. Being so large and having so few neighbors, the U.S.A. is not forced to deal with other countries like countries in Europe must. That makes it easy for Americans (including me!) to be rather ethnocentric. Yet, there is so much that is good about America, it is sad that those positives are overshadowed by the negative stereotypes.

So, to my fellow American blog readers. Help us expats out! Continue to do the good work that so many of you are already doing. Learn about other ways to be involved in the world around you. And most importantly, keep your white tennis shoes at home in your closet when visiting Europe!

P.S. It’s EU Referendum Day in the Netherlands. A “No” vote is expected. If I knew more Dutch, it would have been very interesting to read the voter’s guide that came in the mail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home