Monday, July 25, 2005

Returning to Moldova

The sky is black. I haven’t seen a black sky since June! Southern Finland doesn’t get the midnight sun, but it does stay light all night. Light sky or not, it is quite a contrast returning to Moldova from Finland. Finland, many say, is one of the most Americanized countries in the world. Although they certainly maintain a Finnish culture, there was a sense of being “home” there. Maybe it is because the language reminded me of the old-timers at home in Michigan. Maybe it is because it took me only 8 minutes to see my first McDonalds upon arriving in the country. Or maybe it is because who wouldn’t feel at home going to sauna and swimming in a clear, cool lake nearly every day? Whatever the reason, now I need to adjust to feeling “at home” in Moldova again.

I don’t think it will be hard – I instantly felt comfortable in this country when we arrived 8 weeks ago. And I’ve made it my goal to find things wherever I am in the world that I enjoy. I can’t wait to dig into the “healthy” cream cheese bars again (we have yet to figure out what makes them healthy, but they are good!). Playing with Nelia, evil laugh aside, will be fun. The fresh fruits and vegetables at the market are beckoning me to them. The walks outside in the warm summertime night (i.e. dark) air are splendid. The trips to the villages and clients’ businesses often leave me speechless.

We have three weeks left here, which includes a trip to Romania. I’m anxious to return to the Netherlands, but it is largely because I miss Abby and Madeline, our cats, terribly. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to these last weeks in Moldova.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home