Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Language Learning Part III: Learning Dutch from the English-speaking Dutch

Got it? What I mean is that it is quite useful to learn a language (i.e. Dutch) from people who speak that language as their mother tongue, but speak to you in your own language (i.e. English). Oh boy, I'm not sure that's any clearer.

"Als" in Dutch means both "when" (but not the question word) and "if". And it is rare that a Dutch person speaking English will use "if" in a sentence. At first this seemed quite presumptuous to me. Other times, this use is just downright confusing. And sometimes, it is both. After finalizing plans with someone recently, he said, "When things change, just let me know." WHEN? But I worked so hard to make sure they don't change! But, actually, most of the time, it is just a good reminder of the use of "als" to me. I don't have to search for the word for "if" - it is just the word for "when". I suppose it would be the basis of a good philosophical discussion on the differentiation of "when" and "if", but my brain isn't going there any time soon!

Another reminder deals with the pronounciation of letters, like "D", which sounds like "T" in Dutch. This is particularly evident when the Dutch worship team is leading us in songs at church. "God" is closer to "Got". "Hid" is pronounced "hit". For some reason, though, "Dan" is "Dan" and not "Tan".

And finally, sometimes English vocabulary is more limiting than Dutch. "Gezellig" is a perfect example of this - meaning cozy, comfortable, atmospheric. There isn't an English word for "gezellig". And other times, Dutch vocuablary is more limiting than English. The best example of this came about after a recent hospital visit. The doctor gave Dan a recipe for some medicine. I liked chemistry, but I'm not sure I was up for making painkillers for Dan. I was relieved when I learned it was simply a prescription!

Quiz results from Part II: congrats to shellbell and Christopher, who got the translation down just right! You each get, ummmm, recognition on this blog for your outstanding achievements.

1 Comments:

Blogger shellbell said...

If Dutch is anything like German (I think there are some similarities but don't tell the Germans or the Dutch I said that), then Dan is not pronounced Tan because the D is at the beginning of the word and not the end (as in God or hid). Ask one of your English speaking Dutch friends whether my theory holds water.

3/31/2006 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home