Sunday, July 01, 2007

Emergency Rations

Dan visited an American business partner the other day and came home with a care package full of American food given to us by another American who was moving back to America. I now have some more nice American goodies in my cupboard.

Actually, I have a whole lot of American goodies in my cupboard right now. With so many people visiting us from America, we are well-stocked! I have to ask myself, though, when will I use them? I find much greater pleasure in opening up the pantry and seeing loads of American items like cream of chicken soup, Cheerios, and seasoning packets than I do in actually using them.

I confided in my mother-in-law, the expat for 26 years, this problem, and she could empathize. “It’s much better knowing you have the stuff,” she said. Nevertheless, I know I need to use this food. So, I took the plunge, and I opened a box of Cheerios. Throwing rations to the wind, I’m even going to eat them before they go stale.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Tassava said...

I'm hungry just thinking about it! Do you have Oreos? Refried beans? Doritos?

7/02/2007 4:22 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

yes, yes, and yes, although yes1 and yes3 come in much smaller packages.

7/03/2007 8:34 AM  
Blogger Grandpa Jim said...

But no Jiff or Nabisco Saltines!

7/05/2007 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home