Friday, October 10, 2008

Valid Question #2 to Ask

"One kilogram?!?!?!?!" the lady at the bakery asked.

I nodded, "Da." Well, when three potato pies were loaded onto the scale and I saw the scale was only registering 0.25 kilos, I understood why she asked the question. I certainly did not need 12 potato pies! Potato pies are light! I ended up with six and there is still one left over.

Even more than Holland and certainly more than in the States, people here shop by weight rather than quantity or volume. I suppose if I could have remembered how to say "5" in Russian, I could have asked for 5 pies rather than 1 kilo! But buying by weight is important here. I ordered a 390 gram pizza the other day. Could not remember if that's like a Pizza Hut personal pizza or an extra large Papa John's. Turns out it's more like a 12-inch.

When I cook with our friends, they think of everything in terms of weight:
"Three hundred grams of pork will be enough because we'll have 1 kilo of potatoes," they tell me. I ask, "Is that 12 potatoes?"
"We need 50 grams of rice," they announce. "Is that 1/2 cup of rice?" I wonder.

It's good for a diet! I know that after I ate 2/3s of my pizza, I'm was going to weigh 260 grams more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home