Friday, February 25, 2005

Why The Dutch aren’t Americans: Early Musings on Dutch Life

Three weeks of this journey have already passed. I am certainly not part of Dutch society yet! In fact, it is funny to think about how I will ever be like the Dutch. Not that the lifestyle is bad by any means. But it is simply not American! Here are some of my early musings on the topic.

The Dutch are not super-sized. Nothing about the Dutch life is big. It is hard to find an overweight person in Rotterdam. Most are rather slim, and they are certainly in shape. I look forward to the day when I am not passed by a Dutch rider when I am on my bicycle.

It is hard to find “family portions” in the grocery store. I found pretzels the other day. For the one brand they have, the pretzels are packaged in a bag that may serve perhaps three American servings. Nothing like the 1 lb. bags of pretzels in the U.S.

It is good, however, that portions do not come super-sized, for the kitchens are anything but large. Advertisements for apartments that are available for rent highlight “large refrigerators”. So it must be somewhat unusual to have a full-size fridge. I have started to shop two or three times per week so we can keep the food in our small fridge.

Apart from food, there is other evidence that the Dutch are not super-sized. Smart Cars, which are gaining some press in the U.S., are commonplace here. Smart Cars fit two people – perhaps. Parking places are small. Roads are narrow. Apartments are small. I have not seen any SuperStores. Dogs – many at least – are small enough to fit into the basket on the owner’s bicycle.

How else is Dutch life different? Activities are certainly different here. As already mentioned, bicycling is a main means of transport. In Rotterdam, the bicycle paths are extremely well-marked, and there are even bridges and tunnels specifically for bicycles.

Shopping, like in the States, is important, but it takes on a very different meaning when one must provide his or her own shopping bags; when the stores are not open past 7:30 or on Sundays, and when the open-air markets are some of the most popular shopping venues.

The approach to work is very different. Our friend just accepted a new job, and he is not sure how he will take of the 30 “required” days of vacation. (That’s not counting sick leave, holidays, etc.) The Dutch do not seem to work overtime, either. They do their work, and then they go home! This is not to say that the Dutch entrepreneurial spirit is not still alive! There is a lot of work that happens when the Dutch are at work.

Pet-walking is a major activity here. And the pets go everywhere! They will walk with their owners into stores, onto the subway, or into (some) restaurants. They come on leashes, in baby buggies, or in baskets. They are as transportable as babies.

So, no, the Dutch aren’t Americans. But this American is going to try to learn a little bit about the Dutch lifestyle!

1 Comments:

Blogger VenusdeVelo said...

I love your comparisons...my husband and I just came back from 2 years in Holland (work) -- living in Haarlem. I came across your blog because we have other expat friends named "Dan and Beth" (!) who still live there. It's amazing how reading your blog just takes me back -- all the things you first discovered in those early weeks I remember discovering!! It was a great experience. As you said though, and you are probably correct, I would never be dutch, I knew that. I just had to figure out how to integrate and enjoy...

2/27/2007 2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home