Friday, March 18, 2005

The Market

I like Fridays. It is the day that the open-air market appears in the little shopping center across the street. It is a cross between a flea market and farmer's market, but with Dutch flair. Bicycle parts are sold in one booth, cheese in the next. Then there are the produce stands, the clothing tents, and (my favorite) the flower booths. The Frite (French Fry) stand is extremely popular.

Setup for the market begins on Thursdays, and the vendors arrive early Friday. Lageland (the shopping center) fills up with shoppers from 8:00 or so till about 3:00. I like to visit the market, and I occassionally buy my produce there. When Dan isn't at school on Fridays, he'll buy some Frite and even surprise me with a bouquet of flowers from time to time.

What I like best about the market, though, is sitting in the apartment, listening to the sing-songy voice of the fresh flower vendor as he tries to attract customers with his jingle.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Tassava said...

Okay, I misread this at first and thought that the farmer's market was at Legoland, like at the Mall of America. And that reminded me, "Write to your sister and have her buy you a cool Dutch Lego set - something very Dutch."

3/23/2005 5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home