Monday, March 07, 2005

What do molasses, oregano and bacon have in common?

Today I bought some molasses. Too bad I meant to buy plain old pancake syrup. Entering the grocery store is an exercise for my mind. Shopping in general in the Netherlands is my greatest challenge. Here are some illustrations that will show you why:
  1. Trying to arm myself with the Dutch word for “oregano”, I was frustrated that none of my English-Dutch dictionaries had an entry for it. When I got to the store, I found “Oregano” in the spice section.
  2. Yet the Dutch word for “cinnamon” is nothing like cinnamon. I forgot to look it up in the dictionary, so I resorted to opening and sniffing every spice (except oregano) in the spice section until I found it. By the way…it’s “Kaneel”.
  3. I bought bacon. It came in two rolls, which I thought was strange. I thought it was also strange that it had the word for hamburger on the label, in addition to “bacon”. When I showed it to Dan, he pointed out that it is hamburger wrapped in bacon. Oh well. It was still good.
  4. Say this really fast, “Tvai en fiefenfieftick euros”. Now imagine me trying to understand how much money I need to give to the cashier.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Tassava said...

"Tvai en fiefenfieftick euros"? WHAT? That's just crazy. (I'll guess, "What is Dutch for 12.55 euros?", Alex.)

3/09/2005 4:11 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hey! You are close. Twee (Pronounced TVAI) is two. Euro 2.55. I just carry around big bills and hand them to the cashiers.

3/09/2005 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home