Thursday, April 13, 2006

You Americans, Take Shorter Showers!

We are temporarily staying in a Dutch lady's home, while she is sojourning in South Africa. She is very sweet and has a fantastic sense of style. However, she is quite particular.

Dan and I still giggle at what is written into our contract. The thermostat must not go above 21 Celsius (which is like 56 Fahrenheit, it seems). The cats must not get into the main part of the house. The window in the bathroom must be opened after each shower to let out the moisture (but since it rains 50% of the time, is that really accomplishing anything?).

But the kicker is...
"I read in the newspaper that Americans take long showers, so please do not take long showers."
I contemplated taking a poll of the length of the average Dutch shower, but so far I've refrained. Instead, I will be glad I have a roof over my head and realize that in many other ways, I'm particular, too.

P.S. For those of you who tend to take me too literally, I'm well aware that 21 Celsius is not 56 Fahrenheit. It's 69.8. Don't fear.

1 Comments:

Blogger Grandpa Jim said...

How long can the saunas be there is Holland?

4/15/2006 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home