Sunday, August 20, 2006

Have Pallets, Will Build

Last Sunday, a HUGE pile of wooden crates and shipping pallets appeared in "our" field - the one between The Basement and the Rhine. My friend commented, "Oh, they must be planning to have a bonfire." I agreed, and thought about roasting some of our prized marshmallows, just imported from the US. But from the size of the pile, I might get roasted, too.
In the end, they were planning a bonfire, but not as quickly as I would have thought.

By Monday, the piles had multiplied, spread throughout the field.
On Tuesday, I heard music and lots of...hammering. Venturing outside, I saw children building forts out of these pallets and crates!

What a fantastic idea!

The building continued on Wednesday and Thursday, the forts growing more elaborate each day. Flags were flying above them, and some were covered up with tarps - for secrecy or rain protection, I'm not sure. Passers-by would ask me (I presume), "What are they doing?" Ummm...having the time of their lives? Doing something that, even as I approach 30, I would LOVE to do? Instead, I just said, "Geen idee." No idea.

And on Friday morning, we walked outside to a sad, sad sight: no more forts. But they had had their bonfire. I hope they had some marshmallows.

1 Comments:

Blogger Grandpa Jim said...

Did anyone fiddle while the town burned?

8/20/2006 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home