Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Inspection

Several people who have experienced childbirth in the Netherlands have mentioned to me The Inspection. It is when someone (who, nobody can really tell me) comes to my home and sees if I am "ready" for the baby-je. I've heard how one mother-to-be got "demerits" for not having a special quick drying towel. And how another was reprimanded for not having a thermometer in Celcius. Even my landlady mentioned The Inspection to me, concerned that it hadn't happened yet. (In only my 7th month, nonetheless!)

The Inspection has reached epic status in my mind, mainly because I have so little information about it. Thankfully, today I find out what it is. Here is what I do know:
-I will have a nurse come to my home after the baby is born. (That alone is worth staying in the Netherlands for the birth!)
-A representative from this kraamzorg practice is coming to my home today to discuss the care and what I need.
-I assume this is The Inspection, though it has never been presented that way.
-The person coming today, from what I can tell over the phone, is VERY nice. I can hardly imagine she will give me demerits.
-According to the list I have (the one with all the "-je"s), I currently have about 75% of what I need. Some things, like bedverhogers, which will raise my bed so the nurse doesn't hurt her back, or kruiken, which are glorified (read: expensive) hot water bottles to put in the crib at night, I either don't see why I need right now or why I need at all.
-But I do have important things like the kinderveiligheidszitje (long name for a car seat - nevermind we don't have a car) and the wandelwagen (nothing "je" about this stroller) and dekentjes and rompertjes.

I hope I pass - it would be terrible to be labeled an unfit mother even before my baby is born, and over things called bedverhogers and kruiken!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home