Friday, August 18, 2006

The Inspection: The Result

Whew! It looks like I'm allowed to have the baby.

The Inspection wasn't really an inspection. It did contain elements of one, however. "Do you have...?" "Do you know where to find a....?" "When will you buy...?" She didn't want to see any of what I did have, but she certainly did want to know if I had the items or had plans to get them.

I am required to have the two silly kruiken, but The Inspector is loaning me hers...so then all I'll need to buy (and probably never use) are the sacks for the kruiken. But the kruiken are about Eur15/$20 each, and the sacks are only Eur2/$3, so that's not too bad of a trade off. To get these kruiken I just need to get to her office...about 5 km away and without a good bus route. Good thing, at 32+ weeks zwanger, I'm still riding my bike. Although 5 km will take me about as long next week as 8 km took me 3 months ago...I digress...

Also, even though I tried my hardest to say that I had everything I need for the crib, she wasn't going to have any of it. I am "required" to make the crib like the Dutch do - basically, with a top/flat sheet and exactly two lightweight cotton blankets, which will be tucked in tightly around the baby and folded down to the babies chest. (Kind of like how American beds are made, which is the "old-fashioned" way in Europe.) The kruiken, then, are placed on top of the top sheet and exactly two lightweight cotton blankets to keep the baby nice and snuggly warm.

I am "not allowed" to swaddle the baby in a receiving blanket until I am taught how to do it, and even then, it is not recommended to let Little One sleep that way. "We have done studies that show this is the safest." Hmmm...I bet other studies with other results have been completed, too.

Anyway, it really wasn't bad, she was very nice, did answer a lot of my questions, and I'll do exactly the bare minimum "Dutch" things necessary to not raise a lot of issues when the nurse is around. Picking my battles...

Now, I really MUST find something besides zwangerschap to blog about next...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home