Sunday, September 24, 2006

Earlier Blogging Hiatus Explained

Ever have one of those weeks? I'm sure you have - and so have I. My latest one lasted during the latest 10 days of blogging stoppage here. Nothing bad happened. In fact, some good things happened. But suddenly the weight of our circumstances here settled on me, and, well, sometimes the uncertainty of our life is just difficult to smile through all the time.

Dan just marked is 2-year anniversary of his move here. He has been in possession of a residence card for a mere 3 weeks of those 2 years; our hopes are quickly fading of getting our temporary sticker replaced by a new card. A recent call to the IND revealed that our application has been assigned to a new category. Old category is supposed to take 2-3 weeks to process, but has taken 6 months to be returned once and re-assigned once. New category takes 6 months to process. You do the math.

Without this "card", we are doubtful we can obtain health insurance once our current policy expires in December. Not something we want to face with a newborn. Not something we expected to be a concern with "social" healthcare.

Housing. Again. I like The Basement, despite some inconveniences, but it is too small to handle 2 adults, 1 baby, and 2 cats much longer. So we need to move again, preferably before Little One starts to crawl. The house we have lined up isn't as certain as it was even 1 month ago, and anything else that is close enough to the office and within our budget is...gross.

Cultural differences are sometimes just so stark. It gets tiresome to be told my actions are “too American” or when people are surprised that I do something “Dutch.” What if I just want to be who I am?

We are fully aware this life is our choice, so I know I don’t have excuses to mope. And we are awfully fortunate and thankful we have the opportunities we do. So, I’m glad this weight has lifted now, and I’m reminded again that we do indeed have someone taking care of us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about all these trials! They sound awful enough to endure at a normal time in life, but when you're expecting!?!? Could it be maybe that God is telling you something?

9/25/2006 3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home