Thursday, June 23, 2005

Recent Surreal Experiences

5.0 magnitude earthquake hit Chisinau – it lasted maybe 3 seconds, but the windchimes chimed (chome?) for awhile afterward.

Met 8 Americans this week – that has to be the most Americans I’ve talked to in one week in 5 months. Four Americans are staying with our host family, so we have neighbors we can talk to!

MOUNTAIN DEW is in the grocery store near the office, and cold half-liters are available at the kebab stand downtown. AND it’s not bad Spanish imported Dew. I love this place.

Moldovans don’t think about direction in terms of north, south, east, or west. Ivan and Melina have lived in Chisinau for years, and they couldn’t tell us they live in the northwest part of the city. They get around by roads and landmarks. Dad T – how could you survive??

Melina and I canned – CANNED, Mom – strawberries and raspberries tonight. Now Melina is offering us a roll with strawberries, oatmeal with raspberries and ice cream with either one.

Host Tatiana asked me for a “Russe Angles” and motioned as if she was turning the pages of a book. I got out our Russian/English dictionary and gave it to her. Then, she looked up a word and showed me the English – it was “Friday”. Then she looked up another word – it was “supper”. Then she smiled wide, pointed at me and then at herself and then at the dining room in our apartment. I think Dan and I are invited to supper on Friday. I hope I’m not supposed to cook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home