Friday, August 04, 2006

Marketing

On our walk to the grocery store yesterday, Dan commented how, during his two weeks in the States, he was overwhelmed with impulses to buy things. In Target or Wal-Mart, he wanted to grab items off the shelves, whether or not he really needed them. It is certainly different here.

For the rest of the walk, we debated the reasons for this difference. Are products marketed more aggressively in the States? Are U.S. stores more sophisticated in their product placement and in-store advertising? Or is it that WE - as expats - aren't being targeted by the marketing? (What? You don't have similar conversations with your best friend?)

Then, while shopping, I tried to pay attention to what caught my eye. Things on sale, thirst quenching ijslollies (popsicles), fruit, and dairy products all ended up in our cart without being on our list. Most items seemed to have more to do with my current set of cravings than any outright marketing campaign.

Except for one item: laundry detergent for Little One. I've never bought laundry detergent for a baby before. I scanned the aisle for some name that I recognized as being baby friendly. When that failed, I looked for any name I recognized at all. It was hopeless. The one name I did recognize, I realized it was only because they make the dishwashing liquid we used once when I first moved here.

So how did I pick which laundry detergent to buy? It was the only one with a baby pictured on it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Tassava said...

Fascinating! So what is the reason, then? Is it just momentary fancy? Why, then, did Dan want to buy so much in the U.S.? Surely he couldn't have been craving those things. What about the packaging? The European stuff I've seen - on shelves here, stuff you've sent, etc. - often seems to have more sedate packaging. I wonder if the XTREEM packaging of American products induces consumption...

8/08/2006 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home