Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Pinch Me

Today was one of those "pinch me, I'm living in Europe" days. I don't know why - nothing extraordinary happened. And it's been 18 months - I would think I'd be used to the sights and sounds by now. Yet, I seem to be even more alert to those sights and sounds these past few days.

Sunday, I couldn't take my eyes off the sky. It is so BIG here, with clouds towering over one another. No wonder Dutch landscape paintings often consist of 2/3 sky and 1/3 land. Yesterday, it was pure enjoyment looking at the cows and sheep and horses grazing in the green, green grass of this country. Is there any place on earth that has greener grass? Today, though, the pinch me moments: walking on a completely deserted cobblestone lane a few blocks from The Basement. It was narrow and cute, with the old church tower in the backdrop. And then, there were the two college students who passed me on another street, their crusty-bread sandwiches wrapped only in napkins as they headed to a bench to have their lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home