Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Week System

It's October 1. Do YOU know what week it is?

I should really learn the Dutch (European?) Week System. Holidays are planned according to weeks..."I'll be off Weeks 28, 29, and 30." Volunteers are scheduled according to weeks.."Hans is translating Weeks 15, 19, 23, and 27. His wife is doing the nursery Weeks 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, and 26." In general, instead of saying, "I'm out of town the week of January 1," I should say, "I'm out of town Week 1." Normal calendars, not just those put out by time-share companies, are even numbered with all the weeks listed, and people here seem to actually know what month of the year a particular week is in. Me, I'd be good for guessing Weeks 1-4 and 49-52, I think.

P.S. It's week 40.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fascinating! I've always wondered why, often, computer/internet applications with some sort of date function have the "Week 1" data. I always chalked it up to some sort of specialized accounting thing, for no good reason, but it looks like it might be an international thing. Do they do the same thing all over Europe, or is it a Dutch quirk?

10/01/2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

And timeshare companies do the same..."I own week 48 in Maine." Fun!

But I don't know if it's all over Europe or not. My guess is that if it's not, the EU will shortly standardize it, naming it the European standard and requiring everyone to get their calendars ISO certified as well.

10/01/2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger Grandpa Jim said...

I'm on week 84!

10/04/2006 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home