Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Homesick?

Interesting thing happened over these last two years - my homesickness has changed. Before the trip back to the US, I wasn't looking forward to the American conviences and lifestyle that I had longed for on my previous trips. Instead, I was focused only on seeing people.

And returning, I don't find myself longing for the culture. Instead, I find myself longing (even more this time) for...people.

I don't know if this is better or worse. In missing people, I can fill the hole by calling or e-mailing or IMing. But the missing is so much worse! Longing for the people I love goes so much deeper than longing for an Oreo Blizzard or one-stop superstore shopping. On the other side of the coin, I've grown used to the culture and appreciate the lifestyle here, so I don't have to think about everything I do anymore. That alone makes this homesickness easier to handle.

Then there are the tulips for sale at the local flower marts, which makes everything a little bit better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home