Friday, August 24, 2007

Beyond Our Walls

This time around, Moldova to me is taking care of a baby, a rickety elevator, a huge grocery store, hot hot temps, cheap restaurant food, taxis, and 1 room of air conditioning. In 2005, it was so different - minibus rides, visits to clients, playing with Nelia, cooking with hoof meat, and trips to the market. Taking care of the little girl has changed what I experience of Moldova in a big way. But that's OK - I'm glad for the experience in 2005, and I'm glad for the experience this year.

Beyond the space of our apartment, I know Moldovan life is bustling, just as it always is. People are always around, going home or shopping or to work. There isn't much comparison between village life in The Netherlands and city life in Moldova. In The Netherlands, our life is dictated by rigid schedules, like the hours stores are open and what day the market comes to the town center. In Moldova, stores are open early in the morning to late at night and the markets are open every day of the week. Instead of the bakery shelves being empty at 5 p.m., like they are in Holland, the shelves here are being restocked at that time. We had dinner delivered last night, from a place that delivers non-stop. I wish we had that option during the 4 a.m. feedings with newborn baby.

So I'm spending a lot of time in our apartment, but my life within these walls is very nice. Since the prices here are relatively low, I don't cook here when I don't want to, and we can afford to have a babysitter come everyday. While I've been here, I have been able to participate in Romanian class, work, and sleep! Amazing!

When we learned how to say, "Do you miss home?" in class yesterday, I had to think twice about how to answer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Grandpa Jim said...

I hope you send the baby here if you decide to stay there. I'll make sure she gets an "American eduction" in the Iron Mountain Schools. They will be happy to have a world traveler there and they will appreciate the added state revenue! We will visit there in the summer. You can see her at Christmas!

8/26/2007 4:08 AM  
Blogger monART said...

Oh Beth thank you for the updates Mrs.Carrot Cake ;-)
I'm thinking of you all the time!
Take care
(((hug)))
Mon

8/27/2007 10:49 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Grandpa Jim - Ummm...I like Rebecca too much. I know we talked about sending her to you via Special Delivery, but I've changed my mind.

Monart - Get this - Alina (friend her) baked a carrot cake this weekend. How'd she know? How you doing?

8/28/2007 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home