Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Routinely

It’s funny how quickly routine sets in for me these days. Over the last 3 years, I’ve learned how to adjust quickly and get along with whatever I have at a certain moment. I can’t say I always do this happily, but maybe the next three years will teach me how to be more content. Anyway, while in Moldova, I do the smart thing and drink bottled water. While in Holland, I do as I prefer to do and drink tap water. Oh, there are a multitude of other examples. In Moldova, Dan sighed, “I haven’t had to take an umbrella with me for the last two weeks!” I got quite used to the lack of rain as well. Then there is me on Monday, trying predict when the rain would stop long enough to make an (absolutely necessary) mad dash to the store. The excitement of using a dryer when we are in the States is almost too much for me to handle, but the simplicity of hanging the clothes out on the line when in Holland is really nice, too.

No matter how quickly I establish a new (or re-adopt an old) routine, it’s amazing how a previous one grips me when I least expect it. Today, I felt funny turning on the tap to fill Rebecca’s sippy cup. Yesterday, I just didn’t have the patience to wait for the damp Dutch air to dry my clothes, so I borrowed the neighbor’s dryer. But on Monday, I just couldn’t bear the thought of bringing an umbrella. Rebecca and I both ended up sopping wet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Tassava said...

What an interesting phenomenon. I wonder if it's that you are at ease in various routines, or if you have some sort of meta-routine which can be adapted with particulars to different situations... At any rate, it's admirable. My whole day's off if my morning routine gets disturbed, so I can only imagine what a wreck I'd be moving from country to country.

9/19/2007 5:34 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

or maybe my routine is anti-routine. No, I suppose it's a meta-routine, just like anybody would have. I get up, eat, work (babywork or housework or workwork), eat, work, eat, work, sleep. That's pretty meta!

9/20/2007 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home