Monday, January 26, 2009

The Anniversary that Wasn't

December 31, 2008 came quietly. Quite opposite of December 31, 2007 - our move date from the Netherlands back to the USA.

The day came and went, and although I certainly thought about what was happening a year ago, there were other things to think about. Work, seeing Dan and Rebecca after a few days away, preparing for Grandma and Grandpa to visit...

A year and a couple weeks later, we are living with very few boxes left to unpack. (Those boxes have things like Barbies and college textbooks in them, so I'm not sure they will ever be unpacked.) We have a house I'm still in love with, a fabulous washer and dryer pair, and a fair amount of furniture to sit on or store in. In the spring, I went to work everyday wondering when I was going to unpack my shoes and business suits. I didn't, so now my closet is full of just the right amount of new shoes and clothes. I guess I gave away more things that I thought I had.

My hope was that this blog could outlast our expat time and be a place to chronicle the ex-expat life. Obviously, I underestimated the activities of moving back and returning to "American" life, and that is reflected in the neglect of this blog.
I'm still full of memories and wishes and longings of our time overseas. So, if you are still out there, check back every month or so and see if I can empty those memories and wishes and longings into this space. I would love to share!

3 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

I'm still following the blog. Hang in there, girlfriend!

1/27/2009 3:37 AM  
Blogger mindy said...

glad to see you wrote..was about to give you a hard time again. Love you! We need to have another girl night. Hey, when is you birthday? I have a group of friends who want to start a birthday club, and none of us have a Feb. birthday..you'd like these friends...I'll let you know when we get together again...or I'll just show up at your door to kidnap you!

2/02/2009 6:07 AM  
Blogger monART said...

hey beth, I'm a year later living in our new house ;-) different province (wow moved 15min further away lol), one child added, and...I think I still have more boxes than you too unpack. I started again last week as wilfred was isolating the walk in cupboard (ooooo my first) and then came out all the boxes as it was used as storage during the pregnancy. I guesses that as I didn't miss a lot of stuff for Over a year I violently shipped it to the car to get rid of it ;-) Good luck with the rest girl, spring is almost here....

3/01/2009 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home