Thursday, May 11, 2006

Ik Ben Zwanger.

I suppose it’s time the blog readers know – ik ben zwanger!! When a women is zwanger in Nederland, it’s important to know at least three things:

1. To not delay any celebrations, read and translate the zwangerschaptest directions ahead of time. We thought we could figure it out, so we didn’t bother translating everything. I mean, it was just a simple + or -. But when it comes to something as important as zwangerschap, even the slightest difference in look from the picture to the actual test made us wonder. In our case, our test resembled Example A in the directions. Unfortunately, we couldn’t decipher the explanation under Example A (with 100% confidence). SO…since the zwangerschaptest looked like Example A and not the “normal” example, we weren’t quite sure what to think during the time it took to translate. Talk about anti-climatic! But indeed, Example A just meant we were REALLY zwanger – maybe it’s because I was zwanger for 6 weeks before we took it??

2. For proper zwangerschap care, know the word (both by reading and by hearing) “verloskundige”. I recommend also being able to say it, but I haven’t mastered it yet, at least in combination with other words.

3. When tired of not fitting into your pants, go shopping for “positiekleding”. In my case, I forget to look up this word before I went shopping. Then, in the department store, I couldn’t find any clerks to ask. So I just followed all the other zwanger women! (Not that it really helped. I left empty handed. From several stores. So I called a couple friends and family members in the States, and they sent a care package to me. Nice, huh?) It's also called "zwangerschapsmode" sometimes.

P.S. These are NOT the directions we had trouble with!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home