Saturday, August 05, 2006

Summer

It's wonderful being able to enjoy summertime again. During our six years in Alabama, either the suffocating heat or the suffocating deadlines :-) made enjoying summer a little bit difficult. Last summer in Moldova and Finland, I actually got a tan (well, a tan for me...) and my hair got blonde streaks in it: A certain sign I was able to be outside a whole lot. This summer, I'm tan again, my hair is lighter, and I am relishing the long daylight hours, meals out in the garden, fruit salads, and being outside.

European summers do have a bit of charm to them, which makes enjoying them pretty easy. I've written about the "holidays" people take, including storekeepers, and the slower pace for those of us who are left behind makes me wonder why going away on holiday is necessary. The Summer Sales are tremendous here. Finland's sales were good last July, but the Netherlands' kortings (discounts) are amazing in August. In Northern Europe, the LOOOOOOONNNNGGGG daylight hours are heavenly. The days are getting shorter now, but when "shorter" days still mean it's just getting dark at 10 p.m., I can't complain. We do need to teach our cats that daylight at 5 a.m. does not equate to breakfast time, however.

I'm trying not to be sad that summer is winding down, and I carry a hope that this fall is as mild as last fall. Nevertheless, I know the endless days of wind, rain, and clouds are coming. For now, though, I'll enjoy the blue skies, the warm temperatures, and the lifestyle that allows me to appreciate these summer days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Tassava said...

Don't worry about fall and winter too much. You won't be able to go outside that often, anyhow! And when you can, you will also be able to wait for a nice clear moment on a rainy day.

8/08/2006 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home