Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Birth Con't

3. “I guess what really gets me is this: Rebecca's birth was so medical, but they still call it "natural" because I didn't have pain meds. I got hormones, had the belt to measure contractions, was strapped to IVs, had an electrode in her head, she ended up being vacuumed, and I had an episiotomy. What on earth is the point of a "natural" birth when it's not natural? Just give me pain meds since everything they were doing was making it more painful for me.”

After the birth, one of the doctors told me she had turned up the hormones to the maximum level, which meant the contractions were as strong as they could be: And this is without any painkillers or with the freedom to use the techniques I had learned because I felt too strapped down to all the equipment. Truthfully, I felt like I was part of a morbid science experiment equivalent to the frog that doesn’t jump out of the pot as the heat is turned up slowly. Then there was the other doctor who said, “You should be proud. You did it yourself.” Huh? I should be proud that I just experienced one of the most traumatic things in my life? I just don’t get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home